Faith and Salvation |
Young People |
Our Ministry |
Helps for your Christian walk |
Christian Living |
Help us Minister |
Family Living |
Visual Symbol System
This system is called the Visual Symbol System.
I hope that these pictures will help you out. You can memorize a list and be able to not only give the list, but also be able to tell someone what #7 is on the list or any other number that they may ask you. This can come in very handy as you will see.
Here are the first 10 mental pegs for this system that you will be using. Each one of these pegs will look like or have something to do with the numbers that they represent. They are-
- An ink pen
- A coat hanger
- A tricycle (Three wheels)
- A car (Four wheels)
- A five dollar bill
- A monkeys tale ( Hanging down in the shape of a 6)
- An upside down golf putter
- An eight ball
- A periscope (On a submarine)
- Ten little indians
Here is an example of how this system works. The 10 plagues of Egypt are-
- The water turned into blood.
- The cattle dying
- Darkness over the land of Egypt.
- The death of the first born.
You can read about the plagues in Exodus 7:14-12:36
Here are some suggestions of how you can remember the plagues. These may not all work for you. If not, think of some that will work. These are only examples for you to see how that I use the pegs. This will work with anything that you want to remember. Espically if you want to remember it by its number. TRY IT. It really works. In about 5 minutes or less, you can know all of the plagues of Egypt in order and know what number that it is. It may take you a little time to get used to remembering things this way but after you get used to it, it will be worth it. It is very important to remember to actually visually see it in your mind. If you can't picture it in your mind you wont remember it.
- The first plague is the water turned into blood. The first peg is an ink pen. Picture that you need to borrow a pen because you forgot yours. Someone loans you a pen (Dracula if it will help you out) and when you start to write with it, you discover that it writes with blood instead of ink. You can also imagine that the pen starts bleeding. What ever works for you. The idea is to make it strange enough that it will stand out in your mind and make it easy to remember. If the mental picture makes too much sense, it may not stick with you.
- Number two is the plague of frogs. Picture yourself camping with a group of your friends. They deceide to cook marshmellows over the camp fire so everyone gets out a coat hanger and straightens it out to put the marshmellows on. One of your friends puts the marshmellows on for you and you begin to roast it. As you are talking to everyone you notice that they are laughing. You look at the fire and see that instead of a marshmellow on your clothes hanger, your friend put a frog on it in its place.
- Number three is the land covered with lice. Picture a little girl riding on her tricycle when all of a sudden she is covered with lice all in her hair. This of course doesn't make her very happy and she tries to get them out of her hair as she peddles home to show her mother.
- Number four is the flies covering the land. Picture that you need to go to the store so you go out to your car and start to get in when you notice a six foot fly sitting in the drivers seat. As you stare at him, he reaches out one of his hands and asks you if he can have the keys because he needs to take the car out.
- Number five is the cattle dying. You are at the store buying a few small items that total about $4.75 so you reach in to your wallet or purse to get a Five dollar bill. As you are about to hand it to the clerk you glance at it and notice that instead of Abraham Lincon on the front of the money it has a cow with a beard on it.
- Number six is the boils all over the people. Picture a monkey who is not very happy because he cannot sit down anywhere because he has boils all over his tail.
- Number seven is hail. You are out playing golf with your friends (or playing minature golf) when all of a sudden you see a hailstone hit the ground next to you. Soon there are many hailstones comming your way. You deceide to try to send them back where they came from so you take the golf putter and start hitting the hail back up into the air as high as you can.
- Number eight is the locust filling the land. You are at a friends house playing pool when all of a sudden a lot of dumb hungry locusts mistake the green on the pool table for grass. They land on the pool table and start eating the green cloth. This gets you very upset so you grab the eightball and start smashing the locusts and try to chase them away.
- Number nine is the darkness all over the land of Egypt. You are on a submarine looking for the enemy through the periscope when unknown to you one of your men goes out and covers the periscope with his hands. You look and all you can see is darkness. You can't see any of the enemy.
- Number ten is the death of the first born. Picture ten little indians who are very upset and crying because their oldest brother has died.
These are suggestions for you to try. See if they work for you. If not try another mental picture. Don't be afraid to be a little silly with this. You don't have to tell anyone what you use to remember something. That can be your secret.
There are 27 pegs in this system all together that I have. You can make more is you want to. If you do, please let me know what you have come up with. If I like it, I may put it on this page if you don't mind. Good luck.
Here are the pegs for 11-20
Here are the pegs for 21-27
Digit Letter System